Characteristics of Seedstock breeders
When bull selection involves the purchase of bulls, identification of the seedstock breeder, or seedstock breeders from which Angus bulls will be purchased is an important consideration.
Care should be taken to select seedstock breeders who:
- Offer Angus bulls carrying genetics that are consistent with the breeding goals or objectives of the breeding program in which the bulls will be joined
- Offer Angus bulls that are of equivalent or superior genetic merit to the bulls used within the breeding program in previous years
- Offer Angus bulls with a full set of TACE EBVs and selection index information, particularly for the traits of major importance to the breeding program in which the bulls will be joined
- Offer Angus bulls with known status for genetic conditions
- Offer Angus bulls that have being subject to a Veterinary Bull Breeding Soundness Evaluation (VBBSE)
- Provide information about the vaccination and health treatments that have been provided to the bulls that are available for selection.